Re: What is accepted into the standard kernel sources ?

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:21:08 +1100

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 05:37:44PM +0100, Henrik Storner wrote:

> So is there a clear distinction between the kind of binary modules
> that are accepted in the kernel sources, and those that are not ?
> Personally, I cannot see the big, conceptual difference between a
> binary module that contains "firmware", and a binary module that
> contains the equivalent of firmware, but is executed by the host CPU
> rather than some embedded processor.

The question is, what is the choice with firmware? Sometimes, there is one.
eg the ncr53c78xx (or whatever it is called today) driver contains an
assembler for the embedded processor. Other drivers include the firmware
which is simply downloaded.

The difference with your approach is that your library _can_ be supplied in
source code (where most of the others can't). Additionally, stuff to be
executed on the host CPU is at the mercy of the many different incarnations
of the system that there are out there. Do you provide different code for
every kernel release that is available as the kernel changes? Firmware for
embedded processors are different, they don't alter. The kernel does.

What about other platforms on which Linux runs?

Your binary module will presumably be 386 code. No optimisations for other
processors posisble. Or do you provide 5 different libraries?

> 1) Release hardware specs and let someone write a driver.
> 2) Write a driver himself and release it in binary form only.
> 3) Provide an API for dealing with the hardware, and have someone
> develop a driver based on this API (the "Olicom" way).

4) Release source code. You forgot the simplest one of all.

> I've always thought of the Linux community to be rather pragmatic -
> the "if it's useful and doesn't bother anything else, let us have it"
> approach. So I hope this can generate a useful debate, and is not shot
> down immediately with a "we want full source, or nothing" statement.

I agree. There is need to address these problems. But I start from a point
of disliking the idea :-(

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]