Re: Untarred naming scheme of Linux kernels

Perry Harrington (pedward@sun4.apsoft.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:06:40 -0800 (PST)

<$0.02>

I didn't mean to make a holy war about this. All I asked was that when Linus
tars up the source tree, tar up the "linux-x.x.xx" directory rather than the
symlink itself. I make a new symlink every time I compile a new kernel, that's
not a problem, however I'd just like to not nuke my last kernel sources before
I compile a new kernel. Actually, just the other night I got 2.0.33 and
forgot to nuke the linux symlink, and untarred some files over 2.0.29. So,
this bit me in the butt. AFAICT there is no reason why linux needs to be
named "linux" in the tar file, it also makes archive management (automated
parallel untarring, etc) difficult. Final note, it just *seems* logical to
name the tar file after the directory your're tarring, everyone else does,
and I do too, why do it differently in Linux???

</$0.02>

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington       Linux rules all OSes.    APSoft      ()
email: perry@apsoft.com 			Think Blue. /\