Re: Linux 2.0.3x & gcc 2.8

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
4 Feb 1998 19:05:09 GMT

In article <Pine.HPP.3.96.980204105159.7653C-100000@gra-ux1.iram.es>,
Gabriel Paubert <paubert@iram.es> wrote:

>And the same problem which is hidden by gcc-2.7 (bad or insufficiently
>tight constraints in asm statements) might pop up in other places. I did
>indeed perform a search and found a few places where it could bite,
>depending on compiler options like optimization level, CPU type...

As far as I have seen, the _only_ valid gcc-2.8.0-related patch is to
arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c, which is already included in the 2.1.x
release. Including it into a 2.0.x verison is ok.

The other patches I've seen floating around ("bad or insufficiently
tight constraints in asm statements") are gcc-2.8.0 bugs as far as I am
concerned, and will not make it into Linux until the gcc people clearly
document their own bugs as such (thus turning them into features).

I refuse to cater to a buggy compiler, and right now 2.8.0 seems to fall
under the definition.

Linus