Re: threaded FS-drivers

teunis (teunis@mauve.computersupportcentre.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:34:32 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 10:04:42AM -0700, teunis wrote:
>
> > Actually - I was thinking of actual asynchronous FS-management...
> > Where, say, a kernel thread was being used to manage the device rather
> > than the local process... (as it is currently :)
>
> Reinvention of the microkernel?

Nah - but linux could do that afaik... who knows whether it would be
worth it outside of, say, a hyper-database-system with dedicated drivers
on an SMP system... but it should be doable :)

but then you could use tagged-queueing on SCSI and not have to worry about
this all :]
(finally did a little meandering through the kernel)

aside: Linux is a monolithic kernel of ... unique ... design - offering
many advantages of a microkernel without all of the overhead and bloat *Grin*

G'day, eh? :)
- Teunis