Re: DHCPD v1.3 needs testing

Steve Dunham (dunham@cps.msu.edu)
04 Feb 1998 17:12:57 -0500

"Sergei Viznyuk" <sviznyuk@columbus.rr.com> writes:

> The new dhcpcd-1.3
> source is available for testing
> at
> ftp://204.210.228.4/pub

> Most important changes
> from previous version (0.70):

> 1. Rewrote everything. Made it work with new
> kernels.
> 2. dhcpcd now operates in "raw" mode using
> socket(AF_PACKET,SOCK_PACKET,..)
> 3. dhcpcd now will fork into background
> only after it configures the interface and gets
> into "bound" state.
> If dhcpcd is unable to configure the interface
> it will timeout (60 secs by default).
> Hence 'dhcpcd -c filename' syntax is gone.
> Instead, the following works in bootup scripts:

It doesn't work. It uses "giaddr", which is the "Relay agent IP
address", for the default gateway address (this number is 0, unless
the dhcp server is on a different subnet). The gateway address is
should to be gotten through the "routersOnSubnet" option. (This is
easy to fix.)

Also, it segfaults if the server doesn't provide T1 and T2 times in
options. Servers are not required to set these options. In fact the
rfc does not say that they "SHOULD" - so this is left entirely to the
sysadmin/author of the server. (We use one of the common unix servers,
and it's not including these options. They have default values
specified in the RFC of 0.5 and 0.875 times the lease time.)

It would also segfault if the subnetmask option isn't sent, but I
don't know if this can happen.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu