Re: DHCPD v1.3 needs testing (fwd)

Sergei Viznyuk (sergei@phystech.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:21:39 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 04 Feb 1998 17:12:57 -0500
From: Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu>
To: Sergei Viznyuk <sviznyuk@columbus.rr.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: DHCPD v1.3 needs testing

>"Sergei Viznyuk" <sviznyuk@columbus.rr.com> writes:
>
>> The new dhcpcd-1.3
>> source is available for testing
>> at
>> ftp://204.210.228.4/pub
>>
>> Most important changes
>> from previous version (0.70):
>>
>> 1. Rewrote everything. Made it work with new
>> kernels.
>> 2. dhcpcd now operates in "raw" mode using
>> socket(AF_PACKET,SOCK_PACKET,..)
>> 3. dhcpcd now will fork into background
>> only after it configures the interface and gets
>> into "bound" state.
>> If dhcpcd is unable to configure the interface
>> it will timeout (60 secs by default).
>> Hence 'dhcpcd -c filename' syntax is gone.
>> Instead, the following works in bootup scripts:
>
> It doesn't work. It uses "giaddr", which is the "Relay agent IP
> address", for the default gateway address (this number is 0, unless
> the dhcp server is on a different subnet). The gateway address is
> should to be gotten through the "routersOnSubnet" option. (This is
> easy to fix.)

OK, I fixed that. (Just one line in client.c file...)

> Also, it segfaults if the server doesn't provide T1 and T2 times in
> options. Servers are not required to set these options. In fact the
> rfc does not say that they "SHOULD" - so this is left entirely to the
> sysadmin/author of the server. (We use one of the common unix servers,
> and it's not including these options. They have default values
> specified in the RFC of 0.5 and 0.875 times the lease time.)
>
> It would also segfault if the subnetmask option isn't sent, but I
> don't know if this can happen.

Fixing that might require a dozen more/less lines of code
and as I stated before I'm not going to maintain the source
as long as it works perfectly for me (with Time Warner RR).

However I will gladly fix some minor things like the one
with routersOnSubnet instead of giaddr and I will be
happy to assist and answer any questions about dhcpcd-1.3..

The somewhat "fixed" dhcpcd-1.3.tar.gz is available
at ftp://phystech.com/pub

> Steve
> dunham@cps.msu.edu

Sergei