Re: What is accepted into the standard kernel sources ?

Vijay G. Bharadwaj (vgb@isr.umd.edu)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:33:41 -0500 (EST)

Gordon,

Err... a little correction - I mucked around with the N2 drivers a while
back, and I encountered this problem. SDL gives out the source to
cisco_linux (HDLC protocol), ppp_linux and raw_linux, but these only do
the protocol stuff. Each of them is linked with n2phys.elf and n2drv.elf,
which are object files containing have the routines that actually talk to
the card. They will not give the source to these - I tried last summer,
and this was when I worked for a large company that wasn't even a
competitor and ready to sign NDAs and stuff... (obviously,
reverse-assembling it wasn't something we could "officially" do ;)

If you have the manual that comes with the card, you don't even need
n2cfg.exe.

It's trivial to port their drivers to 2.1.x by the way - remove all
verify_area calls, change all memcpy_fromfs and memcpy_tofs to
copy_from_user and copy_to_user, and it should work...

-Vijay