Re: Subject: Re: IRQ 19 with the IO-APIC?

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 07:59:36 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Trever Adams wrote:

> I have been trying to understand PCI and the IO-APIC code. Is IO-APIC
> available on non-smp machines, or on a SMP motherboard with only one
> chip in it? It seems like a newer/faster/better way of doing interrupts
> that breaks PCI away from ISA concepts, is this accurate? If so these
> are true does 2.1.8x support the IO-APIC on non-smp?

the IO-APIC chip is only available in SMP boards currently. A large
portion of it's functionality makes only sense on SMP: routing IRQs to
multiple CPUs. I found APIC interrupts much faster than 'normal'
(so-called INTA cycle interrupts), as the CPU does not have to fetch the
IRQ vector from external circuity (the 8259A normally). It takes 9
microseconds to execute the first assembly instruction with 'old-style'
(XT-PIC) interupts on a pentium, with APIC interrupts it's in the range of
1-2 microseconds ... so it's a big win, even without its (much more
important) SMP features.

the 'local APIC' is a different thing, it's usually integrated onto
Pentium (and higher) CPUs, and thus is there on non-SMP boards too. But
the local APIC is just half of the game to get more IRQs ...

-- mingo