Re: NT & SMB slowdown?

Kurt Huwig jun. (kurt@huwig.de)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:24:39 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
> I remember seeing a .signature a while back that said something
> about changing how Linux advertises its SMB volumes. I think the gist
> of it was that if it advertised as Linux then the performance was bad,
> but just changing it to advertise as NT 4.0 made the performance get
> better.

I guess this was my signature...sorry for the delay, but I'm far behind
reading the mailing list.

> Is this an urban legend or is it reproducible? If there is anyone that
> has info on this, please get in touch with me. I'd like to measure it
> myself but I'm not about install NT if there is no point (I'm not the
> worldest biggest NT fan).

What had happened:

Linux 2.0.29 and Samba 1.9.x, NE2000 ISA, P75

Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, SP 1, 3c905 ISA, P120
with several Adobe products, namely PageMaker 6.5 and PhotoShop 4.0

10MBit coaxial cable

The Linux machine was detected as 'Linux (Name of Machine) - Samba'

When loading/saving from the network, both progs were very slow. I started
the 'system monitor' and it indicated a "flatline" of 100-120kB/sec (think
it was 120 with PageMaker and 100 with PhotoShop). The Explorer copied at
rates of 600-800kB/sec - definetly without a "flatline".

It looked as if the throughput was limited by something.

Then I changed the TCP/IP-settings of Samba to TCP_NODELAY and
TCP_MAXTHROUGHPUT (or something like this). After this, the "flatline" was
gone and the Adobe products copied at "normal" rates.

This was somehow expected, but the funny thing was, that the WindowsNT
workstation now listed the Linux machine as 'Linux - Windows NT 4.1'
instead of 'Linux - Samba'.

I don't know if the change unlocked some brakes, but it was funny enought
to put it into my signature.

Kurt
(no sig today...laptop)