Re: 2.1.82-87: Hanging in __wait_on_page (was: Re: Hang in

F Harvell (fharvell@odin.magicnet.net)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:18:57 -0500

I haven't had a chance to work on this problem recently, but, after
reading some of the messages in the list, I want to add that I am
experiencing the hanging processes on my system as well. I have
buslogic controllers on an SMP system. I am using md to stripe two
drives together. With kernels 2.1.8[568], I am unable to operate for
any real length of time without a hung process. (Hung processes can
be somewhat regularly reproduced.)

In the last case, the syslogd process and a tail -f on
/var/log/messages were hung. Running "ps afxlw" showed (if I am
reading it correctly) that the processes were in "wait_on_buf". Of
course, with syslogd stuck, I was unable to perform any operation
that wrote a syslog message.

If anyone has any instructions on how to get more information out
of a stuck process, please let me know. Also, I will open an
invitation to anyone who wants to look at my system over the internet.

--
Mr. F Harvell                          Phone:407 657-2202 x205
MagicNet, Incorporated                   Fax:407 679-8562