Re: PID sequences

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:37:10 +1300

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:34:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Don Parsons <dparsons@synapse.kent.edu>
To: Chris Wedgwood <cw@ix.net.nz>
cc: davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com, miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx,
dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org, jlnance@avanticorp.com,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Subject: Re: PID sequences

[...] (Apologies to anyone cc'd to this who doesn't want to know about, by
all means flame, but off the list...)

If we use random PIDs in Linux, could we please make it a config option.

No, let's not.

If we do that, we might as well make /dev/random a config. time option or a
module. By making various things compulsory, hopefully fewer people will
fall into some common programming pitfalls, and when people write code for
linux they can make assumptions that all sorts of good things are there.
Random PIDs is IMO a Good Thing(tm) if done properly.

I like my sorted ps alias:
alias sps="ps -auxwOp"

Err... so won't

alias sps="ps -auxwOT"

do the same thing?

so I can easily see the order that things start up and child processes
etc.

And is it even necessary, why not ps -aufx or pstree?

-cw