Re: How about a /proc/patches ?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 05:05:47 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> >Chris Fowler wrote:
> >> Is there anybody out there who has thought about creating a patch for the
> >> kernel that would create a file /proc/patches that would list in it all
> >> the patches applied to that kernel.
>
> This is a waste of kernel memory. At least that data should be compressed
> and swapped out.

At 70 bytes per patch, compression would hurt more than
it would help :-)
And since most people apply less than 10 patches, you'd
waste 700 bytes at most.

> >Like in Henning's patch, patches are supposed to have one-line
> >description files in init/patches/. These lines are added to
>
> So why not run cat init/patches/* instead of /proc/patches?

Because then you can only look at the code in your
source tree, which might be different from the code
in the kernel you're running at that moment.

Rik.