Re: Changing topic (longish), was Re: GGI debate and etc.

John Sheehy (sheehyj@skynet.csn.ul.ie)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:40:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > This may be a dumb question, but this seemed like the best time to bring
> > it up. I am wondering if there is currently a way to 'cross-compile' a
> > kernel.
> >
> > For instance (and the pre-requesite of a gcc that is capable of cross
> > compiling is a given) if on my PC I wanted to compile a kernel for a
> > PowerMac, is this already possible?
>
> I think you could just change line 5 in the top-level Makefile from
>
> ARCH := $(shell uname -m | sed -e s/i.86/i386/ -e s/sun4u/sparc64/)

> ARCH := $(shell uname -m | sed -e s/i.86/i386/ -e s/i386/ppc/)
>
> but I haven't tried it. IMO it would be better if the platform could be
> set in the configuration programs, with the uname test used to establish a
> default when there is no .config file.
> ___

I currently use gcc on a sparc running solaris to cross compile a kernel
for x86 machines.
I needed to make the following changes to the top level Makefile :

ARCH := $(shell .....
changed to
ARCH := i386 ( I suppose ppc could go here )

and the CROSS_COMPILE variable a bit further down set to

CROSS_COMPILE = /usr/local/bin/i386-unknown-linux-

the vars following this (AS LD NM etc..) use this as a prefix to
their respective names.
( You have to compile gcc as a cross compiler to give you
i386-unknown-linux-gcc )