Re: /proc/patches...

Joe Pranevich (joepran@telerama.lm.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:11:00 -0500

kalle.andersson@mbox303.swipnet.se wrote:

> Evening fellas,
>
> Just thought I'd share my idea about this very nice thingie called
> /proc/patches =)
> Wouldn't it be better to make patch (the program) create this list?

Of course you mean the patch-kernel script, right? Making patch itself
do that would be rather silly... there are a lot more peopel that use
patch than simple kernel developers like us. :)

Also, that solution wouldn't work because, by nature, we don't want to
know what patches are in the "official" tree, or we would never bne able
to keep track of them enough to know which ones changes. (Hundreds and
hundreds of them...) Pre-patches... maybe... but patch-kernel currently
does not handle pre-patches. As for the myriads of other patches that
you could add, well... you would have to just add the patched info into
the patch itself.

Joe Pranevich