Re: VFS 64-bit clean

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:40:31 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Relocating inodes is hard, since there is no cheap way to determine
> which dirents refer to a given inode. Relocating blocks is not much
> easier, since there's no lookup from block to inode either, but at least
> there's only one owner inode for every block.

Now that I think about it... Relocating inodes isn't that
hard either. You just have to walk the file tree and
relocate the inode once you've found all links to it.

There aren't that many files with multiple links, so
you can easily remember them. And as for directories,
since we walk the _file tree_, most directories that
belong together are found more or less at the same
time...

I reckon that we'll need about 30MB of RAM when doing
a relocation on a 20GB filesystem. (just some wild
guess, but I can hardly imagine we need more).

Rik.