Re: Thread+network crashes in 2.0/2.1

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 12:14:54 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Robert M. Fleischman wrote:

> By using our System.map and ksymoops.cc, that last crash looks like:
>
> >>EIP: c01b6b09 <boomerang_rx+209/3a0>

Do you have any possibility to try other network cards, in order to help
determine whether this is a driver of generic network layer bug?

In particular, I'd suggest trying the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B if you
need 100Mbps networking: it happens to be what I have, and it has been
extremely stable here at Transmeta (the de4x5 cards we used before that
were stable but had very bad noise problems over the cable that resulted
in bad performance for everybody on the same net, so we ended up chucking
them out the window: the problem seemed to be with the 21140 chip iself as
we tried different cards with the same chip and we tried both drivers with
the same results).

If the problem goes away, we can be fairly confident that it is a vortex-
specific problem and concentrate on that, while if the problem persists I
might at least be able to look into it a bit more than I can now with a
fault that happens in a driver for hardware that I don't have access to ;)

Linus