Re: sound problems

Etienne Lorrain (lorrain@fb.sony.de)
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:38:32 +0001

jeffrey hundstad wrote:
> On 8 Apr, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> sb: Interrupt test on IRQ7 failed - Probable IRQ conflict
>>> <Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1,5
>>> <Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 7 dma 0
>>> <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
>>
>> The IRQ test is done by telling the card to send an IRQ and
>> waiting. If that doesn't work the IRQ is not making it to the
>> sound layer and there is nothing the sound drivers can do about
>> it. Maybe this is a symptom of the APIC changes - or have you
>> changed any hardware around recently ?
>
> I have NOT had any hardware changes.
>
> ...BTW:
> /proc/interrupts
> cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 393142 XT PIC timer
> 1: 11098 XT PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT PIC cascade
> 7: 0 XT PIC soundblaster
> 10: 54377 XT PIC 3c509
> 12: 94648 XT PIC PS/2 Mouse
> 13: 1 XT PIC fpu
> 14: 21244 XT PIC ide0
> 15: 9 XT PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
>
> I /have/ played bits of sound... note int 5 is NOT allocated and doesn't
> doesn't register any clicks...

Hi,

NOTE that an IRQ not beeing displayed in /proc/interrupts does
not mean that it has register any clicks, but that it has no
driver for it. I've send a patch few days ago, but...
You can see number of all IRQ (in a less understandable form) in
another file on /proc - do not remember where (/proc/stat ?).

Is that normal to have the two line (I just have SB8) ?
>>> <Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1,5
>>> <Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 7 dma 0

Also, is the Sound Blaster Plug and Play ?

My $0.02,
Etienne.