Re: write[blw] vs memcpy?

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 03:06:02 +0200

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 03:25:21PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> Ralf, this is an MCA bus relic from the 18th century. If you don't use stuff
> like memcpy on it then the chances are you will be waiting all week for packets
> to arrive. The driver also doesn't do any cache coherency. It's a PS/2 MCA
> driver. That sort of limits it to PS/2's.

I was only talking about the memcpy function from <linux/strings.h>. The
special flavours for I/O declared in <asm/io.h> are in the special case
of PS/2 nothing but glorified memcpy calls:

[...]
#define memcpy_fromio(a,b,c) memcpy((a),__io_virt(b),(c))
#define memcpy_toio(a,b,c) memcpy(__io_virt(a),(b),(c))
[...]

Case closed, I guess.

Ralf