Re: 2.1.93 possessed by Satan

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 01:20:37 +0200

lists@cyclades.com said:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Anthony DeStefano wrote:
>
> > BTW this is a UP machince _with_ a UP kernel.
>
> I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is a UP machine ??? I've seen this
> before said by someone else ... UP = Unique Processor ?? Something
> similar ???

Once upon a time in the dim and distant past, people used to design computers
which only had a single processor in them. Imagine the cruelty of locking a
single penguin in a small box without even a playmate!

"UP" refers to a "UniProcessor" computer, one of these cruel torture chambers.
Do your penguin a favour - upgrade it to SMP, and let them play :)

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.