Re: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

Dave Wreski (dave@nic.com)
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:42:05 -0400 (EDT)

> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, however I did read through the FAQ and it
> seems a bit dated on the subject.

The VPN mini-howto at sunsite (which will hopefully be a full-blown HOWTO
soon, to be co-authored by yours truly). Is that the one your talking
about?

> Are there plans to incorporate an encrypted file system into the kernel?

No, as with other forms of encryption, due to US government regulations..

> Is there a summary of the issues involved, eg. export regulations (perhaps
> it's own mailing list is warranted =))? If plans do exist, I'd like to
> know what stage development is in, just out of curiosity.

Not sure about mailing lists for export regulations specifically, but
there are quite a few encryption mechanisms under Linux. The VPN
mini-howto currently covers using ssh+ppp to do encryption, but there is
also CIPE, and some IPSEC/SKIP stuff being done..

> If there isn't any "official" development planned, are there plans to
> incorporate something like TCFS?

Yes, TCFS is currently implemented (to what degree, I'm not sure). You
can find it at http://edu-gw.dia.unisa.it/tcfs/. You can find CIPE at
http://www.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html

You can also find a few good RPMs at ftp.replay.com, which is outside the
US.

Perhaps if Ted T'so is listening, he might care to comment on his IPSEC
work or charter, and make any corrections?

Dave