[off topic] Re: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, matthew tebbens wrote:

> So Linux falls under US government regulations !?

If it is sitting on a US FTP server with strong encryption it would. That
would be considered exporting a weapon according to Bill Clinton.

> People should be able to keep information private. For the first time
> computers and encryption software can do that, and the US government
> is scared.

Sure they are scared. You can't have people doing things in private.
Sheesh, I thought that was the first rule of government. Second rule is
disarm the population. In this respect it is ironic because just as
Clinton would remove assault weapons from the general population, he would
remove encryption as well if he had his way. (the right to bear arms has
nothing to do with hunting or self-protection and everything to do with
making sure the US government afraid of an armed population.)

> Do people have the right to secure information ? I think so.
> Hopefully others will.

The US government is afraid of two things:

1) You might say something that they can not evesdrop on.
2) People in foreign countries might say something they can not evesdrop
on.

Both of the above situations are intolerable to the career bureaucrats
that REALLY run the government.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org