Re: GRR!! SMP=1 sucks

Jauder Ho (jauderho@transmeta.com)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 01:12:44 -0700 (PDT)

Like I posted earlier. The .config that ships with a standard
kernel is the config that Linus uses for his machine. As he has a much
better machine than I do, i.e. SMP and whatnot, SMP is turned on for him.
I personally have to turn it off too since I only had a UP machine.

I really do not think it is that big a deal to turn it off.
Besides you ARE running a 2.1.x, hence you should be expected to do some
work. I would expect 2.2.x kernels to have it turned off.

Of course you are being a good net citizen and downloading the
patches instead of a full source tree right? If that is the case, you only
have to do it once and just keep patching the kernel instead. A simple

rm -rf `find /usr/src/linux -name "*.orig" -print`

cleans up after you. I haven't downloaded a full kernel since 74 and it
works just fine for me. YMMV.

--Jauder