Re: 2.1.x - processes letargic on recvmsg()

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 06:49:05 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Apr 1998, Eugene Crosser wrote:

> Another problem that I observed on all recent 2.1.x kernels is that
> I am getting never finished `inews' processes in the process table.
> I have a perl script that converts linux-kernel mails into a local
> newesgroup. So, there are several hundreds `inews' invocations per
> day; and they are coming over uucp in big chunks, and then run concurrently
> making load of ~20 for a few seconds. 3-5 per day stay unfinised.
> This is how it looks in `ps alx':
>
> FLAGS UID PID PPID PRI NI SIZE RSS WCHAN STA TTY TIME COMMAND
> 0 32767 443 1 0 0 860 8 tcp_recvmsg S ? 0:00 /bin/inew
> 0 32767 449 1 0 0 860 0 tcp_recvmsg SW ? 0:00 (inews)
> 0 32767 450 1 0 0 856 0 tcp_recvmsg SW ? 0:00 (inews)
>
> I can attach gdb to a process but I cannot get anything informative from it:

FWIW, almost any X application (including entire X -query <host> sessions)
which uses tcp has a tendency to go brain-dead periodically. This began
in the late .80's and has been unremitting since.

I thought someone ran a tcpdump on the problem and sent it to davem. If
not, I'll try to do so over the coming weekend.

Steve