Re: Wlinux vs. LWin95, looking at the alternative

Richard Jones (rjones@orchestream.com)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:50:44 +0000

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier, it might be possible to
> make Linux the more native OS and Win95 the more virtualized OS. If
> ALL of the Win95 devices were virtual devices to Linux, then only
> memory management and processor mode remains to be dealt with. What
> if Linux reserved most of upper memory and fooled Win95 into believing
> that there was less memory (easy due to the reliance on Bios)?
[...]

As I understand it, there are only a few commands that
can't be properly virtualized on the i386 processors. Is
it possible that there are only a few tiny patches to the
Win95 `binary' that need to be made to make it behave itself
in a virtualized 386 environment? Perhaps someone who knows
more about this than me can comment ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones  rjones@orchestream.com Tel: +44 171 460 6141 Fax: .. 4461
Orchestream Ltd.  262a Fulham Rd.  London  SW10 9EL.  "you'll write in