Re: GRR!! SMP=1 sucks

Manuel J. Galan (manolow@step.es)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 15:30:18 +0100 (WEST)

On 09-Apr-98 Elliot Lee wrote:

> Are there any SMP machines which require an SMP kernel to run? Are they
> common enough to make SMP the default for? As far as I know, running a UP
> kernel on an SMP machine will act the same as running a UP kernel on the
> equivalent UP machine.

Why a SMP kernel should not boot on an UP machine?
NT4 installation goes through SMP kernel in ALL
machines...

It would be nice that RedHat, Slackware, Debian, etc.
did the same. At least they should offer the possibility
of installing a precompiled SMP kernel.

SMP boxes are today very common and they will increase
in number according to economic considerations.

--
Manuel J. Galan
manolow@step.es