Re: GRR!! SMP=1 sucks

Michael Nelson (mikenel@wam.umd.edu)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:45:55 -0400 (EDT)

> At 03:30 PM 4/9/98 +0100, Manuel J. Galan wrote:
> >Why a SMP kernel should not boot on an UP machine?
> >NT4 installation goes through SMP kernel in ALL
> >machines...

The SMP kernel on NT boots for installation because, as I vaguely
remember, on some SMP machines the UP kernel doesn't work or it doesn't
detect SMP properly, or something along those lines.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Brad Kemp wrote:
> NT does not place an SMP kernel on UP machines.
> Also the documented method of upgrading a UP NT kernel
> to an SMP kernel does not work.
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q156/3/58.asp
> You must re-install from scratch. (This from bitter experience).

I've heard from people who've gotten it to work, don't know if they
followed the KB article or not (there used to be a tool that would help
you do it).

-mike