Re: 2.1.94 still locks up hard after a few minutes

Jon Evans (jon@evansoft.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:50:02 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> The problem I have experienced is probably not related to swapping. The
> system is basically inactive when it freezes. For example, I can get it
> to this within five minutes by not even touching the computer after it
> has booted.

I have had exactly that problem. I wrote down a few numbers from
SysReq-P, rebooted into 2.0.31 and scanned System.map. I found that the
system was looping around kmod_unload, __wake_up, timer_bh, add_timer and
do_struct. After a bit of thinking I remembered adding `echo "0" >
/proc/sys/kernel/kmod_unload_delay' to my rc.S to see if that would
prevent kmod from trying to unload modules. i.e. I wanted kmod to auto
load modules but not try to remove them - to hopefully get rid of the
explosion that happens when the sb module is removed.

I can only surmise that the code was starting a timer with a timeout of 0,
which resulted in a real tight loop. On removing this line from rc.S it
now seems to work OK.

2.1.94 seems to have got rid of the problem with the sb unload as well.

Jon.

--
Jon Evans <jon@evansoft.demon.co.uk>
                                          A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.