Re: PCI changes -- SCSI reordering question

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:18:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Manuel J. Galan wrote:

> New SCSI reordering can be a real mess, I was lucky not having
> disks on second adapter, else sde -> sda, sda -> sdb, etc.
> Nice cycle ;-), mad /etc/fstab, and panic on boot.

I've not kept up with the talk on devfs...but has it been considered that
a naming scheme sort of like the following be used?

/dev/scsi/ncr53c8xx/0/d0l0s0

i.e. controler / number / id lun partition
type within
type

That would remove the ambiguity of having a controller0, controller1,
etc...since SCSI host probing order can change, but the driver name is
less likely to, and you wouldn't have to worry about device names changing
just because you add a device or controller.

Adding 2 disks to separate controllers on a 2.0.x system that already had
several disks on each, I managed to really confuse myself.