Re: PCI changes -- SCSI reordering question

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:51:42 +1000

Manuel J. Galan writes:

> New SCSI reordering can be a real mess, I was lucky not having
> disks on second adapter, else sde -> sda, sda -> sdb, etc.
> Nice cycle ;-), mad /etc/fstab, and panic on boot.

The latest devfs patch (v25) makes it easy to fix this. Firstly, there
are the device entries based on SCSI IDs, and secondly there is the
"scsihosts=" kernel option which controls the assignment of SCSI host
numbers. Have a look at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/kernel-patches.html

It's against 2.1.91. I'll be bringing out a version against 2.1.94 in
a few days (plus some other changes), now that my machine is back on
the air (dead M/B: SuperMicros suck, in my experience).

Regards,

Richard....