Re: [offtopic] Re: CocaCola not really a secret

Mr. James W. Laferriere (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:24:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, David Schwartz wrote:

> >Anyone else find it strange that patent lenghts are becoming longer
> >lasting, even though tech is moving faster?
>

> Umm, no that makes perfect sense.
>
> If technology is slow moving, it's more likely that a single patent
> might cover something essential, for which there is no replacement, so it's
> more critical that patents expire as quickly as possible. If technology is
> fast moving, it's more likely that people will be able to come up with quick
> alternatives to your technology once they find out about it, so it's
> important to take steps to maximize the return of investment in one
> particular development.
>
> DS

Ahhh.. But what if I patent the IC? Or all of quantum computing?
(replace with anything we dont already know about, but covers an entire
sub-field) I've just halted the development of an entire string of
devices..

Since the tech is so fast moving.. Whats the point of these patents?
Either they strangle things out, OR they are made obsolete by the rapid
alternatives (only to be brought up later to squish some new idea that
relies on that peticualr implimentation)..