Re: IDE slightly broken in 2.1.94?

mlord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 09:42:59 -0400

Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:

> Tonight I found the following in my log:
>
> ide0: EEeekk!! handler not NULL in ide_do_request()
>
> Apparently, it appeared 5 times during backup. Kernel is 2.1.94 SMP
> on a dual Pentium box.

IDE is not 100% correct for SMP yet, though it does include
safeguards that seem to prevent damage. The message you see
is harmless, just letting you know that SMP tried to mess
things up.

An update for SMP hopefully will make it into 2.1.96.

> Also I tried 'hdparm -u1 /dev/hda1' and got
>
> HDIO_SET_UNMASKINTR failed: Invalid argument

The umask flag can only be set or unset for the entire drive,
not for individual partitions. The correct command would be:

hdparm -1 /dev/hda

--
mlord@pobox.com
The Linux IDE guy