Re: I want my old SCSI order back :-)

Manuel J. Galan (manolow@step.es)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 02:37:08 +0100 (WEST)

On 12-Apr-98 Michel wrote:

> Not having this problem now, but having run into similar annoying
> problems when adding/removing partitions and harddrives in the past,
> thus screwing up the fstab alltogether, perhaps it's an idea to have an
> option that can force a specific order of devices - making newly added
> devices always show up end the end of the /dev/hdS|/dev/sdS list...
> Perhaps a pri/sec/mas/slv & scsiID <> /dev/-order mapping file in /etc that
> performs a remount of devices once it's accessable, or a tag in the
> partitiontable(s) somewhere ?

The problem is worse because the change is in host adapter numbering so
the schemes of host/id/lun won't work anymore.

scsi0 <---> scsi1

Suddenly an old partition in a backup disk drive attached to the second
adapter (scsi1) becomes root filesystem !!!

We normally use two scsi hosts adapters in each server and normally
they are same brand (to avoid the use of different drivers and because
scsi host adpt. have a certain tendency to misbehave when they find other
host adpt. of a different brand...). So this issue is going to happen in
several computers. Besides that Linux-2.0 _and_ NT4 (I know, I know...) do
behave as expected...There have been changes in device numbering when going
from 2.0 to 2.1 (I recall the lp[01] issue) but this one is too drastic and
fundamental and, IMHO, against what is normal when you _consciously specify
in BIOS_ the order that you like or prefer. It would be the same that if
suddenly scsi-id-0 became /dev/sdb and scsi-id-1 were /dev/sda against the
conciously specified jumper position and breaking with the schematics of any
other O.S.

I hope that default behavior become standard-2.0, and 'reverse' option remains
for unusual or particular configurations, etc.

Otherwise the new PCI schematics seem to be a _real improvement_ and is nice to
see that Linux keeps on going with the '>leading< edge of technology'

--
Manuel J. Galan
manolow@step.es