Re: HowTO Please ? (newbe)

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:56:37 +0400 (MSD)

12-Apr-98 00:07 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed kernel 2.1.95. Upon reading the parport.txt, I'm still
> confused as to how to load the modules. I wish to use a zip drive and
> printer Maybe a scanner). I'm also confused on how to configure kmod from
> kerneld.
>
> Can you please show me how ?

Try 2.1.89 or start hacking. In 2.1.95 there are *a lot of* improvements over
2.1.89 and result is VERY strange kernel (in same aspects) -- there kmod almost
could not be used at all, there parport could not be used as module for some
peoples and could be used ONLY as module for some others, etc. If you want help
with kernel development -- you are welcome, but you just want happily use this
kernel... You could not do this just now :-((

P.S. parport in 2.1.89 has also a lot of problems but at least kerneld works
there and you could use modules :-)

P.P.S. In my case, for example, parport (in 2.1.94, I not tested 2.1.95 still)
works ONLY if I am have "SPP" mode and printer is turned on while system boots
up. If I am have ECP+EPP mode than I could print 4 pages even with printer is
off while system boots up, but could not print 100 pages without 2-4
rebooting -- after printing each 20-25 pages I am see coplete freeze of lpd :-((
parport's peoples now working very hard to fix this all, but still it can not be
used by general public. And I am not know about scanner at all -- I am personally
does not know ANY drivers for scanner attached to parport (linux drivers, of
course). May be I am wrong ?