Re: Getting serial.c to share it's interrupts.

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
12 Apr 1998 14:24:17 +0200

Thomas Davis <ratbert@radiks.net> writes:

> driver. It's the SCE portion that I'm looking to add support for -
> without re-writing all of serial.c. First step, is to get serial.c to

Umm, if it's synchronous, you don't really want to be a TTY. You want to be
a network / WAN / whatever interface.

Sync lines are running a packetized protocol like HDLC or whatever. It
carries packet boundaries which you may not toss. There' _no_ way to convey
those boundaries through the TTY layers, unless you transcribe the stuff
into async HDLC, only to let the PPP driver do the reverse operation --
millisecond later. Not a pretty thought.

However, the PPP driver needs ripping apart anyway, and you're not the
first person to stumble across this (ISDN is another example).

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH