Re: how to learn kernel programming

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:45:54 -0400

Jim Dennis <jimd@starshine.org> wrote:
> > Er.. you can make the transition between code and documentation using
> > the /* and */ character sequences.
>
> Sure. That's fine for notes from one programmer to another.
> However it's not suitable for the production of quality
> manuals for the users of the program...

I did not say that it was. I suggested pod for that aspect.

> > You can embed manual pages as documentation using perl's pod format.

> I was talking about this in the context of the Linux kernel.
> How much of that is written in PERL?

POD doesn't require that the code be written in perl.

The biggest differences between what I'm suggesting and Knuth's cweb
(aside from all the mechanical differences) are:

(1) POD is a higher-level approach (and a simpler approach) than TeX.

(2) POD in c-comments tends towards a looser association between
code and documentation.

I think that both of these are good things in the context of linux
kernel documentation.

But the real issue is going to be (should be) writing good
documentation. Everything else is easy, in comparision.

--
Raul