Re: 2.1.95: freezes persist (aic7xxx freeze)

Sten Eriksson (sten.eriksson@udac.se)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:13:08 +0000

Jim wrote:

> I have to say that even with minimalist monolithic kernel on
> Dual-Pentium 100 (64mb RAM, 32MB swap) crashes after I put
> some load on (load average 3.2) .... this was done by compiling
> 3 separate trees of kernel simutaneously.
> The system freezes after about 5 minutes of compiling...
> seems to me that "excessive" disk operations can cause this.
> The same operation done on 2.0.33 hasn't got any problems.
> The system locks up so dead that even SysRq keys doesn't work.
> Nearly trashed my filesystem along the way too :O
>
> I have AIC7870 onboard and also a Promise Ultra33 EIDE card
> 3 x 1GB SCSI for the AIC7870,
> 1x4gb + 1x 1gb on the promise card, no onboard PCI-IDE.
>
> All Linux partitions are on the SCSI disks.
>
> Oh, also, the aic7xxx driver doesn't compile directly after expansion
> .. it required a patch to prevent an error ... this first
> occurred in 2.1.92 (I think). Could you please include that patch
> in the 2.1.96 please Linus ?
>
> jim..

Get the pre-patch-2.1.96-1, it has the new updated aic7xxx drivers which
are thread and SMP -safe. Compiled fine for me, do nothing but a
monolithic mini-kernel, since I (at least) find since kmod doesent do
dependency loading it is non-functional (ie. if you have to pre-load
your modules, why do you need a module loader? Kmod is a really nifty
feature, but it either has to be revamped or modprobe must send the
right signals to it).

Sten Eriksson ! E-mail: sten.eriksson@udac.se
UDAC AB / Datorhotellet ! Tel, work: +46 18 471 78 20
Box 174 ! Tel, mob: +46 70 542 47 03
SE-751 04 Uppsala ! Tel, fax: +46 18 51 66 00
SWEDEN !