Re: UDP bug?

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
13 Apr 1998 17:56:05 +0200

hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:

> Hi, This is what I got. Is that a bug?
>
> Thanks.
>
> H.J.
> -----
> Anyway, I have something I'd like you to look at. The program below
> is giving me unexpected ``connection refused'' errors under Linux at
> seemingly random times after both the `sendto' and the `recvfrom' calls.
> I think this may be a kernl bug, but I'd like your opinion on it.

It is ok. when the port scanned machine returns a PORT_UNREACH icmp message
then the udp code will set the socket error field to ECONNREFUSED and
the next call of a socket function on this socket will return that.
That is standard POSIX behaviour.

> I'm running kernel 2.0.33.
>
> I am not gettiing these errors when I run the program on FreeBSD.

That is because FreeBSD doesn't conform to the upcoming 1003.1g POSIX
standard.

-Andi