Re: SMP Kernels and non-Intel processors

Bob Lorenzini (hwm@netcom.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:17:04 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Brian Gerst wrote:

> I am getting damn tired of SMP=1 being the default. If you have a
> broken MP BIOS (Tyan Tomcat IV), it sees a phantom second cpu which it
> fails to start. THEN, it tries to access the IO-APIC, which doesn't
> exist on a K6, and completely crashes the machine. Somebody, please
> change this so that if there is not an Intel processor, regardless if
> the mobo is SMP capable, DO NOT enable the SMP extras.
>
> SMP kernels should work on all UP machines, not just Intels.

I really HATE to repeat this but: If you want to run development kernels
you going to get by default what linus runs. If you don't like this I
guess you know what your options are. If not why don't you just diff the
config and patch.

Bob