Re: TESTING version of e2fsprogs available; please test!

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@nwrain.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:12:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Theodore,

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:46:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@nwrain.net>
>
> I am using the e2fsprogs-1.12-WIP here . All seems well.
>
> Just one minor cavaet, When using 'e2fsck -fy /dev/?d??'
> an (relatively) small filesystem IE: I have a system with
> 192MB Memory and it -never- accessed the disk drive .
>
> umount /mnt
> e2fsck -fy /dev/sdxx < which repaired some errors
> e2fsck -fy /dev/sdxx < which never re-read the disk ????
> mount /dev/sdxx /mnt
> did somethnig on the disk
> umount /mnt
> e2fsck -fy /dev/sdxx < which re-read the disk
> e2fsck -fy /dev/sdxx < which never re-read the disk ????
>
> After .sig is all the info I can gater about the system
> I am refering too. I hope this is enough to go on.
> I beleive that the OS is caching the information that
> e2fsck is requesting & thus it never gets to re-read the
> disk .
>
> Yes, and yes. There's nothing wrong with this, though. The OS was
> doing what it was supposed to be doing --- speeding up disk accesses by
> using your spare memory (with 192 MB, you have a lot of spare memory :-)
> as buffer cache. Was there some reason you thought enough of this to
> comment on it?

Well Yes, '-f' switch, This does mean --force the check ?
I'll admit ass-u-me(tion), but the man page does say:

" -f Force checking even if the file system seems clean."

If all it's going to do is re-read the cache then the -f
switch seems to be a useless option .
I've been of the opinion that when -f is used it -reads- the disk
not a possibly corrupt / might not reflect the disk, cache file.
Yes I know that everyone who's worked on the caching schemes
have done their honest best .
When I ask a utility that's going to tell me my filesystem
is clean, I'd really like it to check the FS not the cache.
my $.02-1/2 ;-)

Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032

| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |