Re: Testers wanted: exorcised kmod.c: no more daemon!

Antoine Reid (linux@jonction.net)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 05:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

> As my original posting describes, you have not lost the ability
> to do automatic unloading of modules. You just have to add a line to
> root's crontab to have "rmmod -a" execute periodically.
>
> "rmmod -a" does exactly the same thing as the periodic
> unloading part of the old kmod deamon. They each execute just one
> system call: unload_module(NULL). They each unload only the unused
> automatically loaded modules.

hmmm didn't the old kerneld remove the modules that had a count=0 for a period
of time, rather that just periodically remove the modules?
let's say I stop using a device at 23:59:55 and start using it at 00:00:05, now
only 10 seconds have elapsed, but my root cronjob might have "rmmod -a" at
midnight and the module is unloaded.. hmm makes any sense? any easy way to
fix this, while still having a userland unload?

just my 1 cent... (not even worth 2 cents!)
thanx for reading
antoine

Antoine "Grand %" Reid / ve2asm
linux@jonction.net / ve2asm@linux.usan.net