Re: Testers wanted: exorcised kmod.c: no more daemon!

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:58:44 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:
[-------------snip-----------]

> The change to kmod is not just aesthetic. It eliminates a
> race condition when your initial ramdisk preloads a few modules that
> are necessary for the boot process (e.g.., binfmt_aout) and the full
> blown set of modules and dependencies and modprobe is not on the ramdisk,
> but you do want these modules to eventually be unloaded if they are not
> used for a while after the system boots.
>
> Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
> adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
> +1 408 261-6630 | g g d r a s i l United States of America
> fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

Seems to me a perfect time for a /proc/kmod/auto_unload sysctl
entry. On bootup, it defaults to off (i.e. don't do any unloading --
let userspace handle it all). As part of startup scripts after
everything else is all taken care of, the init scripts could
set this to "1" meaning let kmod start handling auto-module unloading
now since the boot is finished and everything should be in a nice,
safe, sane state.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/