Re: extremely odd FS decay in 2.0.32

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:30:49 +0100

Brian H. Trammell writes ("extremely odd FS decay in 2.0.32"):
> I'm seeing some very, very odd behavior in an e2fs under RedHat's 2.0.32
> kernel (stock 2.0.32 +teardrop +f00f, I believe). For a while, I've
> watched inodes just disappear from underneath me, giving me errors such as
>
> EXT2-fs warning (device 03:02): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for
> inode 41131

I've also seen this behaviour. Installation from the RedHat floppy
works perfectly, but as soon as you mount the root filesystem using
the kernel from the hard drive, the filesystem starts to decay.
Running fsck renders the system unbootable.

I worked around the problem by compiling a kernel with only the
drivers that I needed for that machine.

If you have the time to play with the kernel configuration, I suggest
starting with a minimal kernel, and adding more drivers in until it
stops working.

Peter