Re: Testers wanted: exorcised kmod.c: no more daemon!

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Henrik Storner wrote:

> How about adding an option to rmmod that puts it in daemon mode, where
> is does the "do { sleep(60); rmmod_main("-a"); } while (1);" loop.
>
> You could then have /sbin/kerneld as a link to /sbin/rmmod, and if the
> updated rmmod went into daemon mode when invoked as "kerneld", people
> would not have to change their startup-scripts at all!
>
> That would make upgrading 2.0 -> 2.2 much easier for a lot of people.
Yeah, or we could sweeten the deal, and change kerneld so that if uname -r
returns 2.1.90 or higher, we simply do that loop, also. That way, people
just have to upgrade modutils, and not mess with scripts.
<shrug>
It's "Let's mess with the userspace utilities" time :)

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz