Re: Trying to vfree nonexistent vm area

T Taneli Vahakangas (vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:14:07 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Jun 23 00:10:34 mylly kernel: ext2_truncate: inode 124663, retrying
>
> Thats fine
>
> > Jun 23 00:28:32 mylly kernel: Trying to vfree() nonexistent vm area
> > (c6869000)
> > Jun 23 00:28:32 mylly kernel: Trying to vfree() nonexistent vm area
> > (c6869000)
>
> Definitely bad
>
> > harmless? They last two look scary ... Hmmm, I think they're coming from
> > mm/vmalloc.c.
>
> Something tried to free memory it forgot to allocate. Extremely bad in
> fact.
>
> > I didn't do anything special, first compiled wine and then tried to use
> > it. With 96M I don't think it was swapping too much, but can't say for
> > sure.
>
> See if WINE is what trips it. Its the one oddity I can think of

Okay, it is wine. More specifically, it spits out those two lines every
time I try to start COMMAND.COM from File Manager (WINFILE.EXE). BTW, the
address is the same (c6869000) although I shut down the machine during
night and accidentally deleted wine source tree and had to recompile.

Any wine developers around here? Wine says:

err:module:MODULE32_LookupHMODULE tried to lookup 0x0257 in win32 module
handler!
/win95C/windows/command.com: /win95C/windows/command.com: cannot execute
binary file

Just in case somebody is able to tell what wine is trying to do.

Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>