Re: SMP no boot in 2.1.110

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:07:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:

> Well - sorry to bother everyone again but I isolated the boot freeze up to
> SMP. Brief info here:
[snip]

Tried 107-109 - they are fine in SMP. Noticed one major thing though - up
until 109 the APIC was initialized after the CPU tests (coupling & hlt
instruction etc). In all of these kernels initializing the APIC after the
CPU tests worked OK. In 110 the APIC is initialized just before the CPU
tests and this freezes up the system. What I get is the APIC initializes,
the 386/287 coupling tests ok then the hlt instruction test seems to
actually Halt the CPU. ?? I do not know enough about APIC's etc. to know
why this may happen but it also only happens when I compile the kernel
SMP.

If anyone would like me to test anything - or could point out how I can
reverse the boot sequence to test this hypothesis - I would be happy to
try. Thanks!

> Machine:
>
> Intel DK440LX Bios Rev 9
> (2) P-II 333Mhz