Re: SMP no boot in 2.1.110

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:01:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> If you move check_bugs() to before smp_init() then the MTRR code may
> well cause problems.

I changed the mtrr code to cope with it (untested of course, but my
changes always work, ahem). But if for testing you move the two calls
around again you need to disable the mtrr stuff (or undo my mtrr changes)

> I would be more than happy for you to introduce an
> architecture-specific function that gets called just before the init
> thread is started. I could then move mtrr_init() into that function
> for the i386 and not "pollute" the generic kernel code or make use of
> the check_bugs() hack.

Note that the 2.1.110 change at least makes it fairly innocuous: the mtrr
stuff is still in check_bugs(), but at least it doesn't exist in two
different places depending on whether you compiled for SMP or UP, so I
don't find it too nasty at all. I just wanted to point out that if
somebody wants to test the change, they need to worry about the mtrr
stuff..

Linus