Re: 2.1.111 is even more 'stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait'

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:40:43 +1000

Yaron J. G. Bandell writes:
> 2.1.110 had only one 'stuck on smp_invalidate_needed IPI wait (CPU#12)'
> message right after freeing unused kernel memory. Had some occasions
> where I didn't get the message at all. 2.1.109 didn't have any problems
> like this at all.
>
> 2.1.111 however starts 'looping' slowly with this message upon boot
> after
> freeing unused kernel memory slowing the machine down allmost to a halt.
>
> Mainboard is an Intel PR440FX, with 2 PPro 200 CPUs.

I reported the problem with 2.1.110 last week, and Ingo sent me a
patch that made it do the looping you describe (if you wait the system
eventually recovers after sptting out about 30 of these lines). I told
him the patch made things worse.

I don't understand why this patch was then included into the kernel
:-(

Regards,

Richard....