Re: module name clash

Krzysztof G. Baranowski (kgb@manjak.knm.org.pl)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:22:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 grant@torque.net wrote:
> > You don't have to rename the files. (insmod -o ...)
> I don't think so. The way the kernel makefiles work, building two
> modules with the same name will attempt to link both of them into
> linux/modules.
Indeed. I misunderstood the original post and thought that the other
module he was referring to was placed outside the kernel source
and the its name conflicted with some module inside the kernel. Sorry
about the confusion ;-)

> In the longer term, I guess we need a registry of module names like
> hpa's registry of device names and major numbers. Had we been aware of
> the pt network module, I would not have chosen that name for the parallel
> port atapi tape driver - and Peter would not have approved the choice.
I don't think so as I afraid that we end with another outdated and
unmaintained [1] registry which can be safely replaced by running
'find . -name foo.c' before creating some file inside the kernel
source tree and veryfing the output.

Kris
[1] I'm thinking about ioctl/magic-numbers.txt. [2]
[2] Yes, I've just volutered to update them ;-)

--
Krzysztof G. Baranowski - President of the Harmless Manyacs' Club
"Smith & Wesson - The original point and click interface..."