Re: 2.0 scsi BLIST_SINGLELUN and MBR-7

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:34:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Just so i know we're talking about the same thing:
> mount 2 or more cds from it as e.g. /cdc/1, /cdc/2,
>
> then cat /cdc/1/somebigfile > /dev/null &
> cat /cdc/2/someotherfile > /dev/null, what happens? in my case, if i kill
> things fast enough i'm ok, but within less than 60 seconds if i let it go,
> the machine's hung

What's your SCSI card? I just did exactly this, and it's wildly
inefficient...but doesn't crash. Each cat just takes turns. strace and
my ears tell me that cat does just a few reads, then the CD changer
swaps CD's and the other cat does a few reads, then the changer swaps
again...and so on, and so on. Again...this was with a MBR-7, U34f, and
kernel 2.0.31 (too lazy/busy to upgrade my home box).