Re: [linux-usb] Re: How to get aligned memory?

Emanuel Pirker (epirker@edu.uni-klu.ac.at)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:41:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> P.S. Malloc usually returns 16-byte aligned stuff. (At least when I
> wrote the darn thing :-)

Maybe, but kmalloc() does not. 16-byte-alignment means an address like
0xyyyy0, the last digit zero. this is not returned by kmalloc(). I had the
problem of aligned memory in conjunction with DMA scripts - I do also with
the two-pointer-method. allocation one, advancing the second to an aligned
address, use it, and then free the first pointer.

Best regards,

Emanuel